We set up a Covid-19 response team soon after the start of the pandemic and they’ve been busy ever since. Their aim is to provide consistent and timely advice to our member councils and other clients on the risks associated with the pandemic.
The multi-disciplinary team includes staff with specialist knowledge in counter fraud, risk management and internal control. They have experience in a wide range of local government areas including revenues and benefits, social care, and procurement.
To date the team has provided a range of support and advice to our member councils:
Fraud checks and assessments
- Members of the team completed more than 1,800 checks to help City of York Council process business grant payments. Enhanced verification checks were carried out on 241 payments, equivalent to £3.1m of the funding provided.
- Fraud risk assessments have also been completed and shared with all our member councils. These include an assessment of key risks related to the Covid-19 pandemic and advice on the steps that can be taken to mitigate those risks.
- The team is working closely with North Yorkshire County Council to help develop the process for supplier relief. We’re also a member of the Supplier Resilience Board who are responsible for reviewing and approving relief requests.
- Staff members are involved in reviewing account information to ensure that relief is being applied appropriately.
- Input on process design has been provided to member councils in areas such as microbusiness schemes, emergency powers and virtual meetings.
- The team has also been providing risk and control advice on systems and processes impacted by Covid-19.
Keeping up to date
The team checks the latest guidance and daily updates from central government, professional bodies and our professional networks. New or emerging risks are being shared as and when these are identified.
How to contact the team
The Covid-19 response team is led by our Senior Corporate Fraud Investigator Daniel Clubb, supported by Audit Manager Connor Munro and Assistant Directors Jonathan Dodsworth and Phil Jeffrey.
Please contact the team if you’d like any guidance or assistance with the challenges posed by Covid-19.
To get in touch, email Daniel at firstname.lastname@example.org.